The "Frauenkirche" (Church of our Lady) was built 1726-43 by George
Bähr. The Church has a quadratic ground plan and a circular interior.
One day after the fire-bombing of Dresden, on Feb. 13th 1945, the
church, which was made from sandstone, collapsed because of the heat around
it. The heap of ruins was conserved as memorial to the destruction
of Dresden in World War II within the inner city for many years.
After the reunification of Germany finally the long intended reconstruction
was begun, a project of an estimated 130 million Euro, mainly financed
through donations from all over the world. It is one of the most beautiful
examples of international solidarity with the sorely tried city.